Connecting Your Computer to the Dorm Network
New and returning students attaching their computers to the network can register their computers day or night and within minutes have access to the local MCLA network and to the Internet.
Plugging in and opening a browser will automatically bring up the registration page. To register a computer, a student must have a valid MCLANET User ID and Password and a computer which meets certain minimum requirements.
During the registration process, each computer will be scanned for known operating system vulnerabilities and critical patches. All computers, both new and those returning to campus must go through this procedure. Only machines that pass this scan will be allowed to register.
In addition, students are expected to provide and maintain up to date anti-virus software for their machines. For a complete list of policies and procedures click here. For questions, please contact the MCLA Computer HelpDesk on the first floor of Murdock (x5276).
Preparing to Connect
- To connect to the dorm network your computer must meet the minimum system requirements which includes having an ethernet adapter (most laptops already have this built-in).
- You will also need an ethernet network cable. This looks similar to a phone cable but is wider and thicker. This must be long enough to run from your computer to the network jack located on the wall.
- You will need to to setup your MCLANET User ID and Password prior to connecting.
Connecting Your Computer
- While your computer is off, plug network cable into ethernet port on your computer.
- Plug the other end of the network cable into the network jack located on the wall.
- Turn your computer on
- Open your web browser (Internet Explorer) and visit any website. You should then be redirected to the "Residential Network Registration" page
- Make sure your computer's firewall is on. Instructions for Windows XP or Mac OSX.
- Scan your computer for problems by clicking the 'Scan Me' button.
- Note: If your computer completes the scan successfully, close out of the scanning window and move on to next step
- Note: If your computer fails the scan you may not have your firewall turned on correctly or your computer maybe infect with malware. The MCLA Computer HelpDesk can assist you with this if you bring your computer to them.
- Enter your MCLANET User ID and Password
- Review the Dorm Connection Policy
- Click "Accept"
- You will then need to restart your computer. Once the computer restarts, your computer will be online and ready for use.