Online Student - Getting Started
- 1 Step 1 Meeting Computing Access and Technology Requirements
- 2 Step 2 Activate your MCLANET User Account
- 3 Step 3 Read MCLA Policies
- 4 Step 4 - Login To MCLA's Single Sign-On Portal Site (Email)
- 5 Step 5 - Activate your Banner Account
- 6 Step 6 Canvas Learning Management System
- 7 Step 7 Be familiar with other resources available to you
- 8 Online Student FAQ
Step 1 Meeting Computing Access and Technology Requirements
As a student of an online course you are required to have regular access to a computer that meets the minimum recommended requirements standard to all students. You will also need reliable internet access. It is required that the internet connection you use is high speed. For full compatibility, the use of Microsoft Office is also recommended to online students.
- For discount laptop purchases visit MCLA's Laptop Initiative page.
- Microsoft Office (Click here for instructions)
Step 2 Activate your MCLANET User Account
You will be required to have a User ID and password to login to your online class.
If you have already activated your account but have forgotten your password. Please visit the 'Manage Your Account' section.
The MCLANET ID and password is also used for such services as campus computer access, wireless network access and email.
Obtaining and activating an MCLANET User ID and password is easy to do online.
- Note: You will need your Student ID number prior to activating your account. This is your 'A' number.
Step 3 Read MCLA Policies
Get familiar with the user policies that you agreed upon during this MCLANET account activation.
- Network User Agreement
- Software Policy
- Computer Helpdesk Services for Students
- Peer 2 Peer Sharing (P2P)
- MCLA Electronics Communications Policy
Step 4 - Login To MCLA's Single Sign-On Portal Site (Email)
MCLA uses an online communication portal that is integrated with Office 365. Every student should be checking Office 365 Email. Once you have activated your MCLANET account, you can use it to login to:
Click on 'Mail' located on the left side navigation area on MCLA's portal site.
Step 5 - Activate your Banner Account
Log on to Banner to review your schedule, financial aid and transcript information.
Note: To login to Banner, you are required to have a valid Banner ID (A number). If you are logging in for the first time, you must enter your Banner ID with a capital 'A'. Enter your birth date (MMDDYY format) as the PIN number. You will then be asked to set a new 6 digit PIN number of your choice.
Step 6 Canvas Learning Management System
As an online student all course information, course materials, distribution and submission of assignments, in general, are found on our official learning management system which is Canvas. For more information on Canvas, see our informational page located on this site.
- The log in page to Canvas is located at http://mcla.instructure.com
You will need your MCLANET User ID and password that you obtained in Step 2 to log on.
- Note: In some cases Canvas user access will not be open untill the first day the class starts.
- Also Note: It will take up to 1 hour after you have created your account to access Canvas.
Step 7 Be familiar with other resources available to you
Online resources available from off-campus:
- Self-Service Banner: Log on to Self-Service Banner to review your schedule, financial aid and transcript/grading information.
- TechHelp: Browse around on our help website for more information about our technology services at MCLA.
On-Campus resources available:
- MCLANET Wireless Network: MCLA has a wireless network that covers all classrooms, offices, public areas and some various open spaces on the main campus.
- Academic Computing Labs - Murdock Hall: Computer labs are available on-campus in Murdock Hall and are open every day during the regular semester.
- MCLA Computer HelpDesk: The Computer Helpdesk provides technical support for the campus community. This includes support for wireless network, MCLANET User ID and password problems, and full repair support for laptops purchased through the MCLA Laptop Initiative program.
Online Student FAQ
Signing Up for a course
- How do I register for an online course?
- How do I pay for an online course?
- How do I matriculate/apply to be admitted to MCLA?
- How do I withdraw from an online course?
- What are the registration and withdrawal due dates?
- How am I billed for an online course?
Taking a Course
- Can I use my home email account for online course work?
- How do I deal with password/technical problems?
- How will I get my grade?
- How do I get the login information for my online course account?
- How do I get the login information for my MCLA email account?
- How do I get textbooks for my online course?