Computer Support Services
Description of Services and Operation
Computer Support Services (CSS) supports the use of personal computers and networks owned by the College in pursuit of its academic and business operations.
Computer Support duties fall into six areas.
- 1. The Help Desk, which will
- Answer questions about MCLA Central software applications, advise on basic application troubleshooting and log hardware and network issues for the other three areas.
- Maintain the student computing labs.
- Configure network connections for resident students.
- Aid other members of CSS staff in distributing account information.
- 2. Network/Server administration, which will
- Maintain computer and network accounts.
- Maintain the LAN and WAN network infrastructure.
- Operate various servers for file, print and information sharing.
- 3. Desktop devices installation/maintenance which will
- Install new desktop equipment.
- Install and configure desktop software.
- Repair hardware and or resolve issues through vendor service contracts.
- 4. Assistance in selection and purchase, which includes
- Advise users in selecting hardware and software.
- Research options and prices.
- Prepare paperwork for purchases.
- Receive goods and arrange for installation by other members of CSS.
- 5. Web Communications, which includes
- Designing a Web presence for departments and for the college as a whole
- Working with department-based content contributers
- 6. Media Services, which will
- Provide technical support and setups of instructional technology and audio visual equipment campus wide.
- Schedule and deliver classroom AV equipment and are responsible for sound reinforcement and other media activities at academic, student and administrative functions.
- Coordinate activities related to satellite and PolyCom video conference systems, off-air television recording
- Maintain the faculty Multimedia Development Lab (digital imaging, digital audio and video editing, CD and DVD production).
The Computer Help Desk
See the MCLA Computer HelpDesk section.
See the Media Services section.
Computer Support employs a network specialist who maintains the entire network infrastructure. Among his duties is maintenance of user accounts. Access to network services is through a variety of password-protected logins. New users must go through the account activation process. See User ID and Password.
Accounts are authorized either by an electronic data transfer from the College student records system or by a formal communication from the Personnel office. These communications confirm that an individual is officially considered a student or employee, respectively. Similar data transfers from the student records system terminate a student's accounts in the semester following the student's departure. Alumni are offered an extension for use during the semester following their graduation. A formal process has also been set up for closing accounts of employees who depart.
Contacting Computer Support Services
Office of Computer Support Services
- Location: Garden Level Murdock Hall
- Phone for Computer Help or Technical Issues: 413-662-5276
- Equipment Purchasing: 413-662-5511
- Office: 413-662-5511