Helpdesk Positions and Job Responsibilities - Student Employment Opportunities
The MCLA Computer HelpDesk is made up of 3 positions. A lab monitor, help desk consultant, and help desk manager. The following lists general duties for each position at the help desk. The lab monitor and helpdesk consultant positions are staffed by MCLA students who are trained to assist other MCLA students. See below for more information on how to become a HelpDesk employeee.
Information about HelpDesk Positions
Lab Monitor (Located in the hallway of Murdock Hall 1st floor)
The Lab Monitor will:
- Support lab software applications and hardware.
- Provide support for MCLANET account activation / management.
- Maintain all lab equipment including printers and projectors.
- Monitor and enforce proper lab usage with all users.
The Lab Monitor cannot:
- Teach use of software
- Help with assignments
Helpdesk Consultant (Located in Murdock Hall - Office 112)
The HelpDesk Consultant will:
- Be the primary point of contact for student-related IT support issues.
- Assist students with network-related hardware and software problems (e.g., connecting to the dorm network or wireless network).
- Facilitate and/or administer the repair of student computers.
- Answer student phone calls and provide tech support via phone.
The HelpDesk Consultant cannot:
- Perform hardware repairs on computers (excludes laptops purchased through the MCLA/Dell purchase program).
- Perform re-installation of operating system software (excludes laptops purchased through the MCLA/Dell purchase program).
- Installation and assistance with any other software aside from MCLA core supported software.
HelpDesk Manager (Located in Murdock Hall - Office 113)
The help desk manager is a full time MCLA staff member that provides direct support to faculty and staff but also handles tier 2 student support issues. The Manager will also draw upon the expertise of the Network Administrator to solve network issues that students, faculty or staff may encounter. Almost all issues that are escalated to the help desk manager are solved at this level.
Information about Student Employment at the HelpDesk
The HelpDesk is always looking for students who have general computing knowledge with top-notch customer service skills. Some benefits to becoming part of the MCLA Computer HelpDesk team:
- Good Earnings Potential
- Gain IT Work Experience
- Learn very useful computing skills
- On-Campus Convenience
- Create a work schedule around your class schedule
- Satisfaction in assisting the campus community with their technology needs!
Current Open Positions
Title: Help Desk Lab Monitor
- Appointment: 10-15 hours a week
- Hours: Be available to work shifts during weekdays/nights
- Start Date: Fall
- Work as part of a customer service oriented team of primarily student employees.
- Provide support for computer lab equipment, software and user accounts.
- Monitor lab usage and be responsible for the security of the Computer Labs.
- Matriculated incoming or current MCLA student
- General computing knowledge
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- Experience in customer service.
- Experience in Microsoft Office applications and Windows 7/8.1/10 operating systems.
How to apply
If you are interested in joining the Help Desk team, please fill out the online application located here: