Faculty and Staff - Getting Started
From TechHelp - MCLA's Technology Help Center
Step 1 - Activate Your MCLANET Account
Your MCLANET account information will be processed after it has been passed on from HR to Computer Support Services. Once your account is created you must go through the online activation process. Please visit the account management tools area to go through the activation process. You do not have to be on campus to activate your account. The MCLANET ID and password is used for authentication purposes for services such as campus computer access, wireless network access and FirstClass email. Get familiar with the user policies that you must agreed upon during this MCLANET account activation. You can refer back to them on our policy page.
Note: Employees will need their 'A' numbers to start the account creation process. This 'A' number also known as the Banner ID number can be obtained from the Human Resources office. Phone: (413) 662-5598
Step 2 - Set up Voice Mail
- Set up your telephone and voice mail. Any requests relating to the MCLA telecom system should be directed to the telecom specialist at 413-662-5276.
- A guide has been provided to help you set up your voice mail located in the Telecommunications section.
- You can request to have your voicemail sent directly to your college e-mail. To have this done, please fill out the online form for unified messaging.
Step 3 - Set up Your Computer
- Computer Purchasing - Any new computer or computer related purchases for your department must go through Computer Support Services. Computer Support Services can be contacted by phone at (413)-662-5510.
- Computer Installs - Computer hardware or software installs are coordinated through the MCLA Computer HelpDesk. Please contact the HelpDesk at (413)-662-5276 for any requests.
- Setup connection to the MCLANET Wireless Network – The wireless network is available in various buildings on campus. For instructions on how to configure your laptop to access the MCLANET Wireless Network and also need a coverage map please see the wireless section here.
Step 4 - Getting Familiar with Technology
Many answers to frequently asked questions about the computer resources available at MCLA can be found on on this site. The following is a brief list of the technology services available to you as an MCLA employee.
- MCLA's Portal Site (Office 365) - MCLA has a single-sign on portal site that is integrated with Office 365. It is the gateway to email, calendaring, announcements and discussion areas. To access Office 365 you must go through the account activation found on step one. The website to the portal is:
- Banner (Faculty Only) – Banner allows access to the student record system through the web. This includes access to class rosters and also includes the ability to e-mail your whole class.
- Canvas (Faculty Only) – Canvas is an online course area available to faculty members. Course areas are set up by faculty request at the start of the semester. This request will also enroll students who have registered for the course. This is possible only if you have had Canvas training through the Academic Technology center, or if you've had prior experience with Canvas.
- Classroom Technology – To become familiar with classroom technology please visit the Technology Enhanced Facilities section.
- E-Academy - Faculty can obtain Microsoft software at a considerable discount for use on personally owned computers.
Step 5 - Using Technology in your Course (Faculty Only)
The MCLA Academic Technology Center is a resource to provide faculty development, consultation, and collaborative partnerships to support the use of technology in teaching and research initiatives at MCLA. Faculty members are encouraged to meet with the Academic Technology department. The Academic Technology department is located in Murdock Hall, second floor. They can also be reached by phone at 413-662-5397.